Although leadership can be an overused term, it plays an important part in your success at UT Dallas and in your life outside of the University. It is important to build your leadership skills during your college career so that you are a marketable candidate to future employers.
Whether you have extensive leadership experience or none at all, there is an event for you through the Leadership Programs Office. The leadership program at UT Dallas is designed to work with students' busy schedules and still offer effective leadership training. Our goal is to purposefully create, facilitate, and foster leadership learning opportunities and experiences for all UT Dallas students.
Whether you have extensive leadership experience or none at all, there is an event for you! The leadership program at UT Dallas is designed to work with students’ busy schedules and still offer effective leadership training. Our goal is to purposefully create, facilitate, and foster leadership learning opportunities and experiences for all UT Dallas students.
Exploratory Leader Certificate (Open to all UT Dallas students)
The Exploratory Leader Certificate is designed for students with little to no leadership experience. The Exploratory Leader Certificate covers the basics of leadership development and the key components to being a successful leader. The goal of the Exploratory Leader Certificate is to provide students with the necessary skills to balance academic life with co-curricular demands.
Stop by the Student Development Office (Student Union 2.4) and visit with the Assistant Director of Leadership Development.
Requirements to earn an Exploratory Leader Certificate
- Join the Student Leadership Program in Orgsync
- Create a co-curricular transcript through the Student Leadership Program OrgSync portal
- Attend an Exploratory Leader Certificate information session
- Attend 5 workshops (see Leadership Workshops) and complete a reflection piece for each workshop within 10 days.
- Attend 2 approved leadership events on campus.
- Complete 10 hours of community service on campus (Ex: SUAAB, Student Government, Homecoming, Welcome Week)
- Maintain an updated Co-Curricular Transcript within the Student Leadership Program OrgSync portal that documents the student’s experience and involvement throughout their completion of the exploratory leader certificate.
- Once all requirements are completed, set up a meeting with the Assistant Director of Leadership Development to discuss your experience and review your final portfolio.
Timeline to complete Exploratory Leader Certificate:
• 12 months after 1st workshop to complete
“Our work to create the future starts with leadership.”
— UT Dallas President David E. Daniel
Each semester we offer a series of workshops to help develop different leadership skills and character traits in UT Dallas students. The workshops will address the following topics.
•Leadership 360: The Qualities of a Good Leader
•Gender and Leadership
•Leadership and Recognition
•Vocation and Ambition
•Leadership: What Employers Really Look For
•Leadership vs. Management
•Public Speaking and Communication in Leadership
“The key ingredient necessary for success is good leadership.”
— UT Dallas Founder J. Erik Jonsson